2014 Cybersecurity Symposium
Third Annual Maryland Cybersecurity Center Symposium
June 10, 2014
Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center
University of Maryland, College Park
Registration is now open at: https://www.regonline.com/MC2Symposium2014
MC2’s third Annual Cybersecurity Symposium will showcase the latest research, trends, and topics in cybersecurity. It will also provide an opportunity to connect with colleagues across academia, industry, and the state and federal government.
The schedule includes:
- 8:15 – Breakfast
- 8:50 - Welcome: Jonathan Katz, Director, MC2
- 9-10 - Keynote speaker: Vern Paxson, Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences Department, University of California, Berkeley
- Vern Paxson holds joint appointments at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the International Computer Science Institute. Prof. Paxson’s research focuses on network-based attacks and defenses. He cofounded and served on the steering committees of the ACM Internet Measurement Conference, the ACM Workshop in Rapid Malcode, and the USENIX Workshop on Large-Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats. He has served as program chair or co-chair of ACM SIGCOMM, USENIX Security, IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, and ACM HotNets, and as an Area Director of the Internet Engineering Task Force. He has received the 2008 ACM Grace Murray Hopper Award for his work on Internet measurement, the IEEE Communications Society William R. Bennett Prize Paper award, and the USENIX Lifetime Achievement award. He is an ACM Fellow.
- 10-10:20 - Break
- 10:20-12:00 - Research talks by MC2 members
- Dave Levin - “Tune-in to Tune-out: Using FM Radio to Revoke Certificates"
- David Maimon - Cyber Criminology?: On the Relevance of Criminological Theories and Research Methods in the Exploration of Computer Focused Crimes
- Elaine Shi - "Practical Oblivious Computation"
- Martin Loeb - "Economic Aspects of Cybersecurity"
- David Van Horn - "Analysis for Trustworthy Software"
- 12:00-1:00 - Lunch + Student Poster Session
- 1:00-2:00 - Panel on Cybersecurity Education [tentative]
- 2-3:30 - Tutorials by MC2 members (parallel tracks)
- Tudor Dumitras - "Security Data Science"
- Jen Golbeck - "Usable Security and Privacy"
- 3:30-4:00 - Break
- 4:00-5:30 Tutorials by MC2 members (parallel tracks)
- Babis Papamanthou - "Integrity and Availability for Cloud-Based Storage"
- Rance Cleveland - "Model Checking for Security"
- 5:30 – 6:30 Networking Social in the Maryland Club
Registration includes breakfast, lunch, symposium materials and any talks, tutorials, workshops, and demos you choose to attend.
- Industry/Government/Faculty = $50
- Full-Time Student = No Charge
(Including Undergraduates, Graduates and Post-Doctoral Students)
– Must pre-register at https://www.regonline.com/MC2Symposium2014 and show student ID at check in on June 10.
E-mail email@example.com for student discount code.
- Press (if covering event) = Free
Please make arrangements in advance with Tom Ventsias (firstname.lastname@example.org), UMIACS Communications Director.
Vendor Showcase Table
If you would like to reserve a showcase table to display information/products about your company, the cost will be $250. Please contact Carolyn Flowers for more information (email@example.com or call 301-405-0794).
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you there!